It’s often said the best way to learn something deeply is to teach it. Open to Ravenwood campers with a minimum two years prior experience participating in one of our summer programs, the Mentor in Training program creates an opportunity for our budding naturalists to share what they love while exploring the vast landscape of deep nature connection mentoring.
A small number of MIT applicants are selected each year and given a full day of mentor training in skill areas including the Art of Questioning, Bushcraft, Leadership, and Group Management.
Our MITS learn to mentor our youngest campers and are connected one-on-one with one of our senior staff to help them reflect and process their experience. MITs are encouraged to build strong relationships using their new skills, offering their young charges a unique kindness resulting from a big brother/sister type of connection created through thoughtful, playful mentoring.
Memories of our MITs with small ones sitting in their lap around the fire, singing, exploring insect tracks, and keying out a skull or plant in a field guide fill the heart and exemplify the true power of community based mentoring.
Please let us know by May 15th, 2016 if you’d like to explore the MIT opportunity with your Ravenwood camper.
1) have participated in a minimum of two previous Ravenwood programs
2) be between the ages of 12 and 17 years by the beginning of summer
3) submit a completed Mentor-In-Training application (link)
4) attend the scheduled MIT training
5) attend training and planning sessions with staff on Fridays during day camp
6) serve as a Mentor-in-Training for a minimum of 4 days at Ravenwood’s summer camps
The MIT program fee is $250. Serving as MIT for 6 or more program days in a season allows one to choose between the following rebates:
• $50 cash back, or
• $100 credit toward any Ravenwood program (no expiration date)